Monday, November 08, 2004

The perfect job

Although I haven’t officially started looking for a job, I do have a regular look at what is going on in the field of biotechnology. Yes! I intend to meet with people of different curricula to find out more in terms of what is available…but also, of what is possible…

The truth is, I know what I want in a job…but I don’t quite know where I can find it! After a Ph.D. in biotechnology, one usually finds himself looking for a post-doc experience. However, I know I do not want to do more bench work…but I would like to stay in the field. Is there a job that involves keeping up-to-date with the latest advancements and strong organization skills? That involves coordination of different project? Or management of a team? And that also gets you involved in the business aspect of the science? And perhaps a job that allows you to travel but that could involve some work for home?

When I asked, I sometimes got an answer that geared towards venture capital investment and finance…but I haven’t had the chance to actually meet someone that precisely evolves in that sphere…However I have found other job descriptions that could also involve similar tasks. Closing last May, Genome Quebec was offering a position in Research project management. The description fits exactly what I am looking for, a balance between science, administration and finance. But it also seemed to require a lot of experience…which brings forth another problem…How can I get valuable experience?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home